2013/06/18

Pay attention to sibling fights

CBC news posted a news which is sibling fights compared to school sibling on June 17. After reading this piece of news, I wanted to share some of my thoughts. I agreed with the writer’s opinion because sibling fights might be associated with psychological damage.

Pediatrics did a research in the U.S. about sibling fights between aged one month to seventeen years. The result revealed that about thirty-two percent of children and teens said that they had experienced sibling fights in the past years. Caregivers of kids gave three types of sibling aggression which is physical assault, property victimization and psychological aggression. Physical assault is children hitting or kicking by his/her siblings without weapon or injure. Property victimization means that children’s belongings are stolen or broken by siblings. Psychological aggression includes saying things to make siblings feel bad, scared or not wanted around.

I had experience about psychological aggression cause by my cousin. I still can remember that he said I were silly and he did not want to play game with me. During a period of time, I felt so bad and I were isolated by my cousin. When I grew up, I tried to forgive him and my parents said my cousin was young at that time, so his words should not be correct. Actually, this memory is still in my head and it is hard to deal with the feelings. Parents should try their best to prevent siblings fight because the small fights may cause psychological damage and it may become school bully in future.

All in all, parents and caregivers cannot dismiss aggression between siblings as normal or harmless, because the children’s mental health can be effect in a negative way. Finding sibling aggression in early phase and prevent it is good for children’s mental development and their future lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment